Category: Computer Skill Test
Grade Level: 9-12
Deadline/Testing: March 15 - April 11
Competitor Limit: 2 Entries per chapter
- Test materials will be mailed to the chapter adviser prior to the designated testing dates.
- Participants will test on a computer at their local school on one of the designated testing dates.
- All students entered in the event from a school must test on the same date at the same time.
- Any appropriate software may be used.
- The event will be administered according to the guidelines provided in the testing packet by the proctor (a person other than the FBLA chapter adviser, such as the technology coordinator, guidance counselor, principal, or other faculty member).
- Sixty (60) minutes will be allowed for the application portion of the test at the school testing site. Additional time will be allowed for general directions. The proctor will start and stop all participants at the same time. (Exception: Time allowances may be made for equipment failure.)
- Voice recognition software may be used as an input method.
- Participants should be prepared to complete problems and produce documents in the following areas, including integrated problems.
- Database – Creation of a database and application of various functions such as searching, querying, etc.
- Spreadsheets – Creation of a spreadsheet and applying functions and formulas.
- Business Graphics – Preparation of charts, including bar, line, pie, exploded pie, and stacked bar charts.
- Presentation – Preparation of text slides with graphics.
- Participants will be notified when fifteen (15) minutes, five (5) minutes, and one (1) minute remain.
- All proofreading and keying must stop when time is called by the proctor.
- Problems will be weighted according to difficulty and may be completed in any order.
- Calculators are not allowed.
- The national Format Guide may be used as a reference during testing.
- Participants must provide their own pens and pencils; no other reference materials may be used.
- Objective Test taken prior to SLC
- Top 15 qualify to take the TestOut certification test for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at SLC.
All materials should be returned to the original envelope and turned in at the registration table at the State Leadership Conference prior to the opening general session.
- Create, search, and query databases
- spreadsheet functions and formulas
- text slide graphics and presentations
- business graphics
- word processing
Each chapter may enter two (2) FBLA members from Grades 9 through 12. Participants should have completed a computer course utilizing integrated software (word processing, database, spreadsheet, and presentation). Each participant must pay the SLC registration fee and attend the State Leadership Conference.
Judging will be based on accuracy of printed copy, including formatting, appearance, and formulas. Points will be deducted for typographical, formatting, and other errors. The documents will be evaluated by a panel of judges. All judges’ decisions are final.
Who Goes to Nationals?
The first-, second-, and third-place winners will represent Nebraska in the Computer Applicatrions event at the National Leadership Conference, providing they have not entered this event at a previous National Leadership Conference.