Banking and Financial Systems
Category: Objective Test/Presentation
Type: Individual, Team
Grade Level: 9-12
Deadline/Testing: March 1 - 19, 2021
Competitor Limit: 2 Teams of 1-3 members
A problem or scenario encountered in the banking or financial business community.
- Team members will take the online objective test collaboratively at the local school at the designated time prior to the State Leadership Conference.
- A proctor will administer the event using a prescribed set of instructions by a person other than the FBLA chapter adviser. The proctor can be another staff member, such as the technology coordinator, guidance counselor, or teacher.
- The state office will email chapter advisers the instructions as well as the logon and password information prior to the testing dates.
- All team members must be present to take the online test. Team members, not present at testing, are not eligible to advance to the performance. If a team consists of only two members and one team member does not test, the team does not qualify for any recognition.
- Team members may use their own cordless calculators; however, no graphing calculators, phones, or other memory storage devices are allowed.
- The eight (8) teams with the highest test scores will be scheduled for the performance component of the event. The order of performance will be drawn at random by an impartial person at the state office and announced prior to the conference.
- The eight (8) finalists meet for instructions thirty (30) minutes before each scheduled performance. Finalists will not be sequestered.
- Teams receive a role play scenario twenty (20) minutes prior to their scheduled event time.
- Judges receive a copy of the role play scenario along with suggested questions to ask during each performance.
- Two (2) 4” x 6” note cards will be provided to each competitor and may be used during event preparation and performance. Information may be written on both sides of the note cards. Note cards will be collected following the presentation.
- No reference materials, visual aids, or electronic devices may be brought to or used during the preparation or performance.
- Team members have seven (7) minutes to interact with a panel of judges and present their solution to the case.
- Teams should introduce themselves, describe the situation, make their recommendations, and summarize their case.
- All team members should actively participate in the performance.
- All questions raised in the case must be addressed during the presentation.
- A timekeeper will stand at six (6) minutes (warning) and again at seven (7) minutes (time up).
- The performance is open to conference attendees, except performing participants of this event.
- All electronic devices must be turned off. No audio or video recording will be allowed.
- Concepts and practices
- basic terminology
- government regulation of financial services
- impact of technology on financial services
- types and differences of various institutions
- careers in financial services
Each local chapter may enter two teams of one (1) to three (3) members from Grades 9 through 12.
- The objective test will be electronically graded. The top eight (8) teams with the highest score will advance to the presentation portion of the event. A panel of judges will evaluate the performances to determine the winners. Team places one to eight are determined by weighting 20% team test score and 80% team performance score. The objective test score will be used to determine final rank in case of a tie.
- The objective test score will determine places for teams not advancing to the performance portion of the event. Ties on the objective test will be broken based on time. All judges’ decisions are final.
Who Goes to Nationals?
The first-, second-, and third-place teams will represent Nebraska in the Banking and Financial Systems event at the National Leadership Conference. No more than one (1) team member may have competed in this event at a previous National Leadership Conference or have competed more than two (2) years at the national level in this event.