Grade Level: 9-12
Competitor Limit: 1 Entry per chapter
- Competitors will be assigned groups and the order of speaking for the preliminary round based on random selection prior to the State Leadership Conference. The competitor will be notified of his/her preliminary round group prior to the conference.
- This is a sequestered event; therefore, all participants must report to the holding room at the time designated in the conference program. Participants will remain in the holding room until their preparation times. If there is a time conflict with another event, the participant must choose between events.
- Each participant will be given the same topic related to the FBLA goals, activities, national programs, current events, and/or relevant business topics.FBLA Goals:
- Develop competent, aggressive business leadership.
- Strengthen the confidence of students in themselves and their work.
- Create more interest in and understanding of the American business enterprise.
- Encourage members in the development of individual projects that contribute to the improvement of home, business, and community.
- Develop character, prepare for useful citizenship, and foster patriotism.
- Encourage and practice efficient money management.
- Encourage scholarship and promote school loyalty.
- Assist students in the establishment of occupational goals.
- Facilitate the transition from school to work.
- The competitor will have ten (10) minutes to prepare his/her speech prior to appearing before the judges.
- No reference materials, visual aids, or electronic devices may be brought to or used during the preparation or performance.
- Two (2) 4” by 6” note cards will be provided for each participant and may be used during the preparation and performance. Information may be written on both sides of the note cards. Note cards will be collected following the presentation.
- Each speech should be four (4) minutes in length.
- At the time of the performance, the event administrator will introduce each participant by name only.
- A timekeeper will stand at three (3) minutes and again at four (4) minutes. When the speaker is finished, the time used by each competitor will be recorded, noting a deduction of five (5) points for any time under 3:31 or over 4:29 minutes.
- The top two (2) speakers in each of the groups will be selected for the final round. Finalists will be posted on the conference bulletin board.
- All performances are open to conference attendees, except performing participants of this event.
- Finalists will be sequestered and must report to the holding room at the time designated in the conference program.
- All other procedures as outlined in the preliminary round will be followed for the final round.
- Demonstrate ability to make a businesslike presentation
- demonstrate effective verbal communication skills
- display self-confidence through knowledge of content and articulation of ideas
- explain content logically and systematically
Each chapter may enter one FBLA member from Grades 9 through 12. A competitor entered in the Impromptu
Speaking event is not eligible to enter Public Speaking I or II. Impromptu Speaking competitors are sequestered;
therefore, competitors should not be entered in other events that occur at the same time.
There will be one judge for each preliminary presentation. In the finals, there will be more than one judge. All judges’ decisions are final.
Who Goes to Nationals?
The first-, second-, and third-place winners will represent Nebraska in the Impromptu Speaking event at the National Leadership Conference, providing they have not entered this event at a previous National Leadership Conference.